Is this Proof that Derren Brown’s Apocalypse was Staged and Fake? Is Steve Brosnan an Actor

I have always been a big fan of Derren Brown. I have seen everything he has done. I realise that he’s an “entertainer” and not everything is how it seems. I have just watched Derren Brown’s Apocalypse on catchup TV and I was blown away. It was an amazing show.

However, after a little research is seems that the “victim” could be an actor. The rumours have started on Twitter already and it unfortunately looks like a “stooge” may have been used. If these alegations turn out to be true then I will be gutted and will question everything Derren has done in the past.

Anyway, on with the screenshots.

Lots of people on forums has researched our victim and posted a link to suggest that he was an actor. Pay close attention to the Twitter account link on the screenshot below.

(Edit: This profile has been confirmed as genuine by Steve himself on a YouTube video with Derren Brown).

Steve Brosnan on ProfessionalPeople.org

Steve Brosnan on ProfessionalPeople.org. Look at the Twitter username. Click to enlarge.

Here is a screenshot of the Twitter account. There is no doubt that this is our man!

Steve Brosnan's Twitter account.

Steve Brosnan’s Twitter account. Click to enlarge.

The profile on ProfessionalPeople.org has since been changed. His height, weight, eye colour, hair colour, ethnicity all changed which suggests that they know that they have been rumbled. Again take note of the URL bar and the Twitter account link. Also note the haste of the profile edit. He’s described as “Very Large” but his weight is 7 stone.

Steve Brosnan's profile changed to Craig Harwood.

Steve Brosnan’s profile changed to Craig Harwood. Click to enlarge.

If you want further evidence then check out his Facebook page. Filming on the set for a BBC pilot.

Steve Brosnan on Facebook. Starring in an Adam Buxton BBC TV pilot.

Steve Brosnan on Facebook. Filming on the set for a BBC pilot. Click to enlarge.

UPDATE: The profile on ProfessionalPeople.org has changed again 😀 The Twitter account link has been removed.

Profile has changed again! The Twitter Link has now been removed

Profile has changed again! The Twitter Link has now been removed. Click to enlarge.

All the above 99.9% confirms what I do not want to hear. Make up your own minds about this. Part 2 should be interesting.

The link to his acting profile can be found at http://www.professionalpeople.org/actors/uk/view.php?uid=291520 although I think that this will probably be deleted at some point.

Also, here is the “disappearing bottles” scene (continuity error?) that people are talking about. Some people claim that the bottles rolled out of shot due to the ambulance moving. You will notice that the ambulance was not moving.

29/10/2012:

I notice that Channel 4 have stated, “Steven is not and never has been a professional actor.”

We didn’t suggest that he is a professional actor. This would mean that acting is his full time job. Someone that does acting as a hobby or to make a few extra quid in their spare time is NOT a professional actor. Channel 4 are playing this cool but to use the word “professional” makes a lot of difference to this argument. Many people would not know the difference between an “actor” and a “professional actor”.

Derren posts Q&A and tackles the issues raised on this blog:  http://derrenbrown.co.uk/apocalypse-qa/

There are a couple of contradictions for example, saying, “Misleading the public in a TV show is a big deal, and a massive lie like that wouldn’t be permitted by the channel.”

Despite this, he has misled the public before with the “real bullet” Russian Roulette stunt which was later debunked by the police: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1443556/Russian-roulette-gun-loaded-with-blank.html

Also, Derren used a professional actress in one of his Trick of the Mind TV shows. See:  http://aboutderrenbrown.blogspot.co.uk/2008/07/revealed-derren-brown-used-actress-in_24.html

Derren’s video response on Steve not being an actor. The truth? Denying accusations is not exactly considered to be the “truth”. Do you trust politicians when they deny rumours or allegations?

UPDATE: 30/10/2012:

This webpage has been found at twicsy.com (a Twitter search engine) containing a Tweet from Steve Brosnan: http://twicsy.com/i/6RACbc  In case it gets deleted, here is a screenshot. There are lots of deleted photos on the page too.

Did Steve already know the plot of Apocalypse as far back as the 17th August? A Tweet suggests he did as there are a couple of references to the Wizard of Oz, just like on the show itself. Steve was being taken to a gig on the coach a day before his birthday which is the 1st September.

Did Steve Brosnan already know the plot of Apocalypse?

Did Steve Brosnan already know the plot of Apocalypse before filming? Note the Wizard of Oz references and the date of the Tweet.

Watch Derren Brown’s Apocalypse – Part 1 & Part 2 online via Youtube.

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T28Du5bHbdg

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQgwyeUuv0

462 Comments – Click here to view/post comments

Posted on October 28, 2012 at 10:05 am by Grumpy Git · Permalink
In: TV & Radio · Tagged with: , , , , ,

462 Responses

1. Written by gilbo303
    on 06/11/2012 at 4:56 pm

Sarah, you seem very angry! With all due respect, by your comment: ‘computer hacker thingy was so stupid’, I can’t say that it sounds like you have researched the subject yourself, do so, and you may find that there are (albiet slightly arduous and complicated) methods of doing this.

Disney style effects? Off course, were you expexting effects straight out of a Diehard movie? Considering the limits with which I imagine they had to work with, the effects were pretty awesome, certainly topping anything I’ve seen on an almost live show like this.

Reactions? Again, I suspect you are judging this by the reactions we see from scripted scenarios in film and television, a long shot from how one would actually react in real life.

Bare in mind, if we are to believe that Steven at this staged had been programmed to an extent, to be in a semi hypnotised state, I doubt his reactions are going to be too tweaked and focussed. One minute he is on a bus, the next he wakes up in hospital, with regards to reactions, do you really think your reactions would be so readily predictable in such a situation? Would you expect someone to suspect your reations to be suspicious if you didn’t react in exactly the way they assume you would, by their own expectations?

‘Let the buyer beware.’
    Well, it’s free, for your entertainment, no loss to you.

@Zombie: ‘Re the water bottle continuity. You also have to ask yourself why the bottles were there in the first place. There is no need for them in the shot and it would be a continuity nightmare waiting to happen so why take the risk?’

I don’t mean to sound sarcastic, but, this was a long shoot, a potentially traumatic storyline/narative to followed, don’t you think that having water (especially as it’s written in the theme of a forthcoming apocolypse) would be a sensible thing do do? Both with regards to the story side of it, and the real-life side of it…water is good. Water in ambulance, very good!

And the slating of Minicam, sorry but that is out of line, the guy has come on here to offer some genuine insight in to the production, and you guys just lay into him for it??!!

No-one has even asked any questions of him before attacking!

You all want to shout ‘do your research!’

Pot calling kettle black much?

2. Written by gilbo303
    on 06/11/2012 at 5:03 pm

@Brad: “I’m sure you have. I remember seeing something similar in an episode of Neighbours once as well.”

Not really adding much there…?
    I’m just saying, we all know Derren doesn’t broadcast the process of hypnotising someone, so why question it when you only see the bit that matters, the bit he can show? What were you expecting to see?

3. Written by Steve Brady
    on 06/11/2012 at 6:23 pm

minicam, I’m interested in the phone hacking business. You’ve told us that you were solely involved with the hidden camera aspects of the show, and yet that part of the show required no hidden cameras, and took place while Steven was allegedly at work. From a production schedule point of view, there was no reason for you to even be on the premises. What, exactly, did you see, from where, and why?

4. Written by minicam
    on 06/11/2012 at 7:36 pm

What I saw in relation to the hacking of phones was stevens reaction to the stories transmitted to his phone. (If you recall there was at least one of the scenes that we filmed which made it to the final show, the one in which reference was made to the NASA website if I recall correctly – although this is not the only time that we watched from the shed as a scene like this played out).

So to answer your questions I saw the scene I described (amongst others), from the hidden control in the garden shed, and I saw it because I and my colleagues were tasked with capturing the reactions as Steven went about his ordinary, day to day life.

I also personally witnessed the request for Steven to hand over his phone for a short while, so the modifications could be undone.

On a side onte to this, we were also called upon to help with the transmission to the front room TV of the faked programmes – although I appreciate most will find this part of the deception easier to believe.

I feely admit that I did not look over the guys shoulder as he hacked into the phone. As was stated on the show – noone did.

5. Written by Steve
    on 06/11/2012 at 8:42 pm

Good try minicam … hope you get the new contract 😉

6. Written by Ewan Hoosami
    on 06/11/2012 at 8:42 pm

DERREN BROWN’S alwAys plaCing sUblimiNal picTures in his television shows.

7. Written by Steve
    on 06/11/2012 at 9:35 pm

Good try minicam ….

No one is complaining that the “set-up” is fake … that’s the point of the the program isn’t it … the issue is whether Steve is fake and playing along.
    As part of the “scenery” as you claim you were, and not part of the inner production team, you wouldn’t be privy to that information, so you can not be so sure as to say doubters are plain wrong.
    If you were part of the production team then your opinion here is a biased one, and is undermined by that relationship. You can’t have it both ways.

Hope you get the new contract 😉

8. Written by minicam
    on 06/11/2012 at 10:32 pm

Steve.

Not sure from your post if you have read all my posts about my experiences on this production, if not have a look at them.

If Steve was acting, then his “acting” towards us in the team was more “actor-like” than his acting on the televised show. I simply can’t buy that the production team would go to such lengths to convince their cameramen, technicians etc of a lie. It’s much more sensible to let them in on such a ruse, in which case I would be merely reading this blog and not participating in it.

To give you a quick example that didn’t make the show:

The night before Steve went to Reading (yes that’s right folks, he really went) he was looking for a particular pair of boots, and became convinced they were in the Shed. Which in fact they were.

He came out to the shed and tried to get in. It was locked of course as there was a camera technician, a sound recordist and a whole lot of kit in there.

Seeing the potential danger of the situation, i.e if Steve gets into the shed, then the few weeks of filming so far have been for nothing, and the show will of course be ruined, his mum then saves the day by assuring him that she is sure she saw them in the loft.

Steve goes up to the loft to check. Meantime his dad comes quickly out to the shed, grabs the boots, and puts them in the front porch (where Steve had previously looked!)

They then proceed to poke fun at Steve that how could he have missed the boots, they were right there in front of his eyes all the time!

Now of course it is possible that this was all staged to convince our hidden camera crew that Steve knew nothing about us, when all the time he was secretly an actor. It is also of course possible that NASA faked the moon landings, and that the US government were really behind 911…

Seriously, think what you want to I guess. Hell, you can think that the tale I just related to you is just a lie dreamt up by me because I have nothing better to to if you want, but I and my team have been doing this a long time. I’m pretty sure we could spot if Steve and his family were actors duping us for the whole shoot.

9. Written by gilbo303
    on 06/11/2012 at 10:54 pm

Come on guys, he’s not an actor by profession, yes he has ran a charity run, not fitting with his nature, I work in a huge building with hundreds of staff, every year we have loads of them do The Great South Run, you see the laziest, quietest individuals suddenly subject themselves to these runs to raise money for charity, and it’s great, human nature can be a little unpredictable in that way!

The bottles argument, irrelevant, and debunked. The advert, debunked. Profile changes, trolled and debunked. The filming inconsistencies, debunked. ‘Katie’ irrelevant. Leoni’s acting, well, we now know she was 22, playing the role of a 14 year old…so…seeing as she is not a seasoned actor, I’d say fair play, good effort.

Just, call it a day, choose not to watch him again, but really, there is no concrete evidence to suggest Steven was knowingly acting out his role in this production.

And I don’t believe the official story on 9/11 lol :p

10. Written by minicam
    on 07/11/2012 at 12:32 am

Alright Gilbo, we’ll leave the 9/11 debate for another thread then 😉

11. Written by Steve
    on 07/11/2012 at 9:56 am

I don’t believe in Moon Hoax, NWO, or 9/11 conspiracies.
    Quite the opposite, I actively challenge those because I believe they undermine a rational society, and that is precisely why I challenge this actively.

I am struggling to understand the motive of those who come here having said they are happy this was real, then expend equal energy to me to defend it?
    Why don’t they just “enjoy” and go away?
    Why are they so motivated to “discredit” those who think it was fake?

As I said, In the case of the aforementioned conspiracy theories it can be said they damage our society and that alone is sufficient motivation to challenge those who promote them.
    In the case of this affair the reverse is the case?

I have been called a “shill” for defending NASA, the US government, and the Warren Commission elsewhere.
    Here I am starting to believe I’m debating with real “shills”, or at least sycophants, because there is no understandable motive outside that to chase this down?
    The only thing damaged is DB, so maybe his “people” have been tasked to go out and limit the damage to it all fades away? 🙂

12. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 07/11/2012 at 10:14 am

“There really is more evidence to suggest there is nothing ‘set up’ about Steven.”
    ——————————–

I cannot see how this statement is true. The only evidence is Derren Brown’s denial YouTube video and the posts of our “hidden camera” technician that has contributed to this thread. Neither can really be classed as evidence, just hearsay.

The clues are there in the 2 shows in my opinion. The superfans will never accept the possibility of a show being staged or faked. In fact, even if it came out that is was staged, the superfans would still put a positive spin on it and defend Derren with an excuse. You only have to look at Derren’s Twitter feed to spot the number of sycophants.

Like I’ve said before, the superfans will try and make the doubters look stupid and Derren will come up smelling of roses as always.

It’s actually creepy how the fans get so aggressive on Twitter when someone dares to challenge Derren publically.

13. Written by minicam
    on 07/11/2012 at 11:08 am

I appreciate that my posts are only hearsay to people on this blog, after all I am just some guy on the internet really!

I don’t think I have much more to add, but would be happy to answer any questions anyone still has.

I would like to say that I have no “hidden agenda” or even any motivation to try and disprove those who think Apocalypse was staged. I have already been paid, and the production company that contracted us for this particular shoot have been clients for a long time, and I am sure they will continue to be so regardless of how this one show is Judged.

My only reason for coming on here in the first place was that after the first show aired, I naturally googled it as we had been involved, and this site was one of the top hits. After reading a few posts I thought I’d chip in with what I knew about the shoot, as I’d like to think that the info I have on it was useful to the debate.

I certainly wasn’t expecting some of the more angry comments, but I’m a big boy so no offense taken 🙂

14. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 07/11/2012 at 12:56 pm

Hi minicam,

Well, I appreciate your input and have no reason to doubt you personally. I still don’t think that contracted crews would be trusted with private information with regards to the setup of the show/plot etc. I am sure that if it was staged then the production crew would have been very careful not to let the cat out of the bag. Saying that, they were sloppy leaving Steve’s online presence for all to see.

Hopefully more people will ask you questions about the technical side of the things you did. I bet it was exciting to be involved in something so big.

It will all soon be forgotten about until the next big project! I still enjoy Derren’s shows but I will certainly not be sucked in by the hype next time 🙂

15. Written by gilbo303
    on 07/11/2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi Steve, I do see what you are saying, I am coming straight into the debate with ‘but what about this, what about that..’ and maybe it is a little niave of me to say what I did earlier with regards to just accepting that Steven was not in on it. These debates can very quickly turn into to a shouting match, so I will try a little harder not to be seen as taking it in that direction.

If there is still enough interest, can we do a recap of evidence that suggests foul play?

What I was saying earlier is that most of what I’ve read here so far is explainable, to an extent, and yes I understand that Minicam’s explanations go a fair way to backing these things up, and not everyone wants to believe a third party, understandably!

With regards to the hype, personally that’s not what did it for me, I caught the show on the off-chance, and haven’t looked at any of the backlash anywhere else but here to be honest!

Plus, it would be a bit silly to try and convince a group of people that one of country’s most well know trickster is tricking us! I just feel that people are clutching straws to prove it was all a ruse. But I understand people are thinking I’m clutching at straws too lol.

16. […] all you nay sayers out there, thinking this show was staged and who have read this article about how Derren is a Fraud, please go to Derren’s blog and read in full detail. Derren answers every question in that […]

17. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 08/11/2012 at 8:36 am

You sound just like all the others who think that just because Derren denies the allegations then he must be telling the truth. Some people are just so gullible.

I really don’t understand all the people that say, “Go read Derrens blog, he explains everything so I believe him”.

So, if your local MP was fiddling his expenses and got caught would he then be believed if he wrote a blog denying that he did it?

18. Written by Steve
    on 08/11/2012 at 10:02 am

Can’t navigate to read the newer comments Grumpy?
    Can just see them tantalizingly previewed on the right.
    Shame, because all of a sudden there seems to be a suspicious rush of support for DB; it’s as if they need to have the last word here to close the thread? 😉

19. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 08/11/2012 at 10:09 am

click “Newer Comments at bottom”

20. Written by Steve
    on 08/11/2012 at 10:11 am

Got it …
    Sorry.I was using an old link instead of a refreshed one 🙂

21. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 08/11/2012 at 10:12 am

No worries 🙂 The comment links on the frontpage *should* go to the correct comments page but they don’t for some reason. Hitting the “Newer Comments” link at the bottom of the page does the trick for now.

22. Written by Steve
    on 08/11/2012 at 10:15 am

LOL!
    I had that same comment appear on a YouTube post I made! The “damage limitation team” seem to be in full swing :-))

23. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 08/11/2012 at 11:44 am

Yeah, i think so 🙂

24. Written by Steve
    on 08/11/2012 at 12:13 pm

Wonder if DB would publish the “Risk Assessment” he would have had to do for ch4 in his blog too? 😉

That should include a statement of risk of an individual harming himself or others while “traumatized”, and would also include an assessment of the financial risks of the whole investment going up in flames should a slip in continuity or “loss of the illusion” result in the “victim” catching on? Just identifying a few of many issues it would have to address?

I’m sure stuntmen and actors are insured and sign disclaimers, but an “unsuspecting” member of the public?
    … and if it is claimed Steve had signed something he clearly didn’t read it or understand the implications?

This whole fiasco has made me into a militant rationalist. It has been a step too far in the wrong direction and it’s time for some of us to challenge those who treat us a fodder 🙂

25. Written by gilbo303
    on 08/11/2012 at 12:34 pm

Actually Steve, I have to agree, I was trying to be rational with regards to the bottles, acting, filming etc.

I don’t think there was much of a set up there *as far as anyone was aware*

This is where I have to admit, maybe, to a degree, I’ve have been hood-winked on this. The points you bring up there in your last post bare serious consideration, I admit, my opinion has changed, I suspect Mr Brown may have played trickerybuggers on a few different levels here, not to the knowledge of many/any involved…

Someone mentioned earlier here that Steve is having to visit Derren at his flat to talk about the show and move on from the traumatic experience…well, that’s some serious poop, I question how far Derren could legitimately have gone with this trick, and I am starting to think that, regardless of the length of the illusion itself, he went too far.

Someone was fooled, or lied to, to a far greater extent than a TV show to allow, maybe us, maybe Steve, the production team, I must admit, I feel all is not as rosey as I thought it was initially…

Still being rational, looking at the evidence, but I feel now I was looking at the wrong evidence, what is important here maybe is what we cannot see.

26. Written by Steve
    on 08/11/2012 at 4:07 pm

Thanks for that Gilbo303.
    That’s what I meant in a previous post by “instinct”.
    Although not strictly rigorous, our knowledge of the real world in modern, highly regulated times does provide us with some idea of what is and what is not feasible; litigation, ethics, human rights, health and safety, “Levenson”, et al.

In theory, although probably unlikely, only DB and Steve need be in on it. His brief might include trying to dupe the production team too, so he would have to stay in character at all times. That would make “inside testimony” invalid.
    🙂

27. Written by Steve
    on 08/11/2012 at 4:57 pm

Almost forgot ….

As a child I became interested in hypnosis when my Grandmother (who was giving up smoking) received a self-help LP record containing hypnosis.
    As willing as I was, it never happened for me, but still interested I studied and learned there was a clear distinction between what is and what is not possible.
    Apparently, children are good subjects because they are imaginative and “green”. Surprise to say I do not have the personality type that can be hypnotized which in some ways I regret.

My researches also made me aware that “stage hypnosis” is largely a sham, and have completely forgotten to mention that is dialed into my “instinct” too.

Here is link to something that represents what I found to be the consensus of serious opinion on what hypnosis is not.

Myth No. 3 is totally discredits “Apocalypse” by itself does it not?

28. Written by Sven
    on 09/11/2012 at 2:48 pm

Lets just remember something here. ALL hypnosis is really a kind of ‘playing along’. That’s different from saying Derren Brown hired an actor. So yes, in a way it was fake, but only in the sense that all hypnosis is fake. Read this description of stage hypnosis:
    “The desire to be the center of attention, having an excuse to violate their own inner fear suppressors and the pressure to please, plus the expectation of the audience wanting them to provide some entertainment is usually enough to persuade an extrovert to do almost anything. In other words the participants are persuaded to ‘play along’.”

29. Written by Steve
    on 09/11/2012 at 4:25 pm

Sven,
    On the hypnosis issue alone, they’d have you believe DB “knocked out” Stephen at the height of a traumatic “life threatening experience”; that he was then transported to a hospital in a “sleep state”; that he put into a “coma” by a phone call, and then frog-marched back to his own bedroom, etc, …. all while unconscious?
    Please … If you read those 10 myths NONE of that is possible by ANY stretch of the imagination.

It’s all a sad reflection on where society is now going.
    As religion fades, this sort of nonsense is taking over to satisfy the need for something to wonder at.

30. Written by gc
    on 09/11/2012 at 9:19 pm

if it was real why didnt he attempt to build and carry some type of weapon to protect himself with…..its the first thing most people would do in that situation….

31. Written by gareth m
    on 09/11/2012 at 10:36 pm

Definatly fake – Why would stephen turn the lights out when leaving the compound (no need to save electric in those circumstances) 2 u would not plan to walk to wales you would wait 4 another helicopter or you would plan to find a car and drive

32. Written by Sven
    on 09/11/2012 at 11:45 pm

Steve, read what I said again: it was fake, but only in the sense that all hypnosis is fake. I’m agreeing it was fake, I just don’t agree that guy was a hired actor – they didn’t need one. By the way, I’m fully aware of the fact that it is a myth that hypnosis puts people into a coma. Of course that guy was playing along. So one more time: it was fake, but only in the sense that all hypnosis is fake. Don’t underestimate the vanity of people who want to get on tv, nor their gullibility/suggestibility.

And what’s sad is you (and I) wasting time on this blog. Ultimately, who cares if it was an actor or not? Derren Brown did his thing and here we are talking about it, and he might be reading this now and smiling to himself. Hopefully this will be the last post. (it won’t be).

33. Written by Steve
    on 10/11/2012 at 10:52 am

Sven,

It matters to ME because I worry that people, especially our children, see this sort of “mystic nonsense” as real. It shapes their opinions and attitudes in the real world. Is that good?
    Don’t we want a rational public to make decisions looking forward in a world that will have many serious issues to overcome in the next few generations?

If Derren Brown wants to do “illusion” fine … so long as he doesn’t pretend it “real” and just enjoys having us scratching our heads?
    I previously thought that was his stance, as it is with James Randy and David Copperfield. These two actively challenge the likes of Geller who seek to claim real powers and I regard them as “good” guys.

DB did an interview with Richard Dawkins in which he discredited spiritualists etc, and this gave his own “credibility” a boost. Having piggy-backed his own credibility from that I find his behavior now to be a tad hypocritical and a bad development. I don’t think Dawkins would approve either?

As we move on from religion let’s not encourage the “void” to be filled with “Hocus Pocus”?

– every little bit helps 🙂

34. Written by Steve
    on 10/11/2012 at 11:22 am

… on reflection it’s like Derren Brown is almost elevating himself into the role of a modern day “Messiah”?
    He has a platform and a following based upon “miracles”, and here he purports to take an individual HE decides is “not worthy” and sets about “correcting” him in front of the “congregation”.

Yeah right!

Way too egotistical for me! :-))

35. Written by TinHatty
    on 10/11/2012 at 5:58 pm

The dude left an ACTING profile on an ACTOR CASTING WEBSITE. He has no right getting butthurt when people percive him to be an actor.
    p.s A teacher? Really? No university or teacher training collage?

36. Written by Darren Braun
    on 10/11/2012 at 11:31 pm

He IS a teacher. I hypnotised the qualifications into him. Now bow before me you treasonous cretins.

37. Written by Darren Braun
    on 10/11/2012 at 11:34 pm

I also made you all think that Karl Greenwood was in a noodle advert. It was in fact a microwave panini advert. You gullible lot, you all say “Noodle ad” because I planted that seed in your tiny little minds.

38. Written by Luke
    on 11/11/2012 at 12:03 am

Lots of circumstantial evidence. Classic conspiracy stuff. Personally I think the show was real and the transformation he went through was real.

Oh and if you check out the link on his tweet about wizard of OZ you will see some ruby slippers that will make anyone think they are dorothy. http://t.co/o3kmXUah

Either way some of the most entertaining TV I’ve seen in a while.

39. Written by Steve Brady
    on 11/11/2012 at 6:19 pm

Luke,

I think that you’re suffering from the common misconception that circumstantial evidence is invalid.

Classic conspiracy stuff? Isn’t the conspiracy (against Steven) that the program conveyed as factual considerably more elaborate and far-fetched than just asserting that Steven was in on the gag?

In a way, it’s a shame that there’s been so much focus on the “noodle ad” thing. If one were to suggest that the whole “exposed as an actor” quickly followed by Derren Brown’s counter-proof was a set-up, then that *would* be “classic conspiracy stuff”, but, to be honest, I don’t think anybody involved in the production would be smart enough to think of it.

40. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 14/11/2012 at 7:03 pm

I was surprised that Derren went to all that trouble to get Steve Brosnan and Karl Greenwood in the same room. It was like saying, “Well this is the only thing i CAN prove!”. We knew it wasn’t the same guy anyway. All the other stuff cannot be proved either way unless an insider was given the good cop, bad cop scenario in an interrogation room lol

Well, it’s more or less forgotten about now. That is until it’s repeated in the future 🙂

41. Written by Steve
    on 16/11/2012 at 10:32 am

Let’s hope so Grumpy, otherwise the “wanna-be” Steve might start appearing on “Big Brother” or “I’m a celebrity”?
    🙂

42. Written by Eddie
    on 19/11/2012 at 1:08 pm

I want you all to really think about this ok…
    He has been doing this for TEN YEARS. If they were stooges can you imagine the cost of keeping people quiet for ten years????? Ten years is a hell of a long time for not one single person to come along selling their story to a newspaper/ magazine etc don’t you think?!?!? He has discredited the rumours and if he has kept “stooges” quiet in that gap of time then the man truly does have some sort of mystifying skill in his possession. Stop hate mongering and furnish the man with the credit he deserves for all the hard work that goes into these feats. One person sets out to discredit him and the rest follow like sheep.. It’s rediculous.

43. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 19/11/2012 at 1:39 pm

It’s not “hate mongering”, it’s scrutiny. He discredited the rumours…. How? By making a Youtube video denying the accusations? It’s not really a concrete defence is it? To call us ridiculous shows me how you cannot see two sides of an argument. We’re all entitled to opinions. We were talking specifically about Apocalypse, not his 10 years in the business. I still find it all entertaining but it’s lost it’s magic for me a little.

44. Written by Steve
    on 22/11/2012 at 11:36 am

Eddie …. what is the “Magic Circle” all about?
    “indocilis privata loqui” ……… a pledge to NOT reveal.
    With such a pledge come benefits and even a measure of self-esteem, so the concept of “silence” in the name of show business is not something new?

Do you think David Copperfield really made the Statue of liberty disappear? Don’t you think there were people around the stunt who could “see” otherwise?

And more generally, look at what’s happened in the case of Jimmy Savillle. That must have been kept “secret” by hundreds” for years?

This was a television entertainment show that was a step too ambitious, that’s all ….. NOT an assassination of a head of state or similar.
    The attention span of the average viewer is such that he/she won’t care after a few weeks, unlike an assassination or more profound event.

As a footnote, in today’s world of instant communication, a population armed 24/7 with “cameras” and social networking these stunts will not be so attractive.
    I doubt if they will repeat this episode.

45. Written by dee
    on 03/12/2012 at 7:14 am

you are all programmed.

discussing worthless crap about the creators and protagonists in the show rather than the intended message to look internally and evaluate your own lives.

missions accomplished.

46. Written by Foucault
    on 07/01/2013 at 2:14 pm

Thank you for the discussion, evidence and your viewpoints.

Having looked at all the evidence on this page and the links (even the comment links), video’s and Derren’s response’s, I am now more sure than ever that he was not an actor hired for the role, but a genuine applicant.

If your intent was to prove its fake, I believe you have actually proved the exact opposite, by dispelling the conspiracy theories (each of which is easily explainable and do not in anyway constitute a smoking gun).

I hope the ‘fakers’ never have to sit on a jury, because if this is how they interpret evidence, i pity the subjects of their decisions.

My concern has always been about the ethics of the show. If brown was an arrogant performer like some it would be even more disturbing. But, it is clear that at the end of the day, the subjects are better people for the process.

47. Written by Rob
    on 14/01/2013 at 11:44 am

Having just watched the program, one major thing comes to mind. Unless I missed something I didn’t hear any swearing from any of the cast and supposed Steven. I think that in a situation like this every second word coming out would be F… Sh….. etc etc. That for me gave it away that the whole thing was staged for prime time TV

48. Written by Kerbox
    on 21/01/2013 at 9:56 am

It is clear that Derren constantly uses dummy audiences and actors in many of his shows, mainly because on many occasions we are presented with hypnotic feats which are simple not possible in the real world.

To also make a bad generalisation if things appear to be too good to be true they usually are. Do not get me wrong, Derren does so great world and does us all a service in making us question many things but it is also clear his show is edited and set up for a wow factor.

Do not (or do) let the truth get in the way of some good entertainment.

49. Written by Steven, du må vakne, zombiane kjem! | Filter
    on 22/01/2013 at 8:17 am

[…] ikke Steven fram et våpen og drepte et par skuespillere? Og hvorfor hadde Steven en profil på en castingside for skuespillere før showet startet? Har Folket blitt […]

50. Written by Tom
    on 16/03/2013 at 9:00 pm

One thing to note – in the shot where the bottles are gone, Bronsan is also sitting in an entirely different position. Now, if we presume for the moment that this is real, it stands to reason that quite a bit of cutting would be required to make natural conversations run at the pace we see on TV.

That said, the actor’s profile is very suspicious.

51. Written by Em
    on 28/04/2013 at 2:48 pm

who cares if it was faked? it was entertaining at the time of watching it. Also having spoken to Steven ( a very nice man) I think it was real

52. Written by Dean Thorpe
    on 01/05/2013 at 2:57 am

I read this entire thread…. it took hours…
    I feel this entitles me to express my opinion on this matter (If everyone had done so before posting and in between posts this thread would be considerably shorter I bet)
    There is no logical or convincing evidence or reasoning that backs up any of the conspiracy theories discussed.
    Some of those questioning the shows authenticity, whilst I admire their conviction, are clearly never going to be convinced and as this thread came to wind down and more of the matters were explained they only became less coherent in their arguments.
    A conspiracy theorists last resort is always insulting the intelligence or motives of those disagreeing with them. (Even going as far as bringing the gene pool into it lmao)
    It was an ongoing theme in this thread, compare that with those defending the show offering an opposing point of view and the class differential is apparently astonishing.

Oh I do not think the show was dodgy if that is not obvious, and I know I should not chip in with this without hitting on a Specific point but there were so many….. and none left with any validity so this is a pointless PRO Derren post…..to balance out all the pointless anti DB posts.

“I am a compulsive liar and you should not believe anything I say. Only joking I am totally honest 100% of the time”
    This post is meant in good fun and not meant to insult anyone so shut it ya morons.

53. Written by Abby R
    on 23/05/2013 at 12:23 am

Having wasted my time reading this I’ve realized that there’s only one way to settle this and that’s for one of the actual extra actors to shout out during the filming of a Derren Brown show and say to the person that is supposed to be unsuspecting “This is a Derren Brown show!” Then depending on how they react you would know. For instance one of the ‘zombies’ could do this…

Oh but then you’d be fired and done for breach of contract, and even if they were unsuspecting Derren Brown could just come out and hypnosise them to forget what just happened and the action could continue… Damn!

54. Written by Jo
    on 01/06/2013 at 11:03 am

If you watch when he finally leaves to walk off with the kid, you see he comes outside and just walks out!

Not only has he hardly any way to protect himself,
    he doesn’t sneak a look outside first, he doesn’t listen at the door for signs of zombies, he doesn’t look around ANYWHERE, he just walks out and walks off

who in their right mind, having just been trapped by zombies and believing they are everywhere would not look around and creep cautiously?
    who would not stop at every edge and corner and peek round it to see if any were there?

who’d not be ready to run back inside if they happened to come back?
    he just has his usual dozy bewildered look on his face, but this action shows he was not really in any fear

55. Written by A Disappointed Canuck
    on 23/07/2013 at 11:48 pm

Not surprising Uri Geller can only find work in the UK these days. Even in the 21st century, it seems the Brits will believe anything. Makes the U.S. look like a giant thinktank…

I’m surprised David Icke isn’t Prime Minister.

56. Written by Liz
    on 23/09/2013 at 7:31 pm

Oh dear me. Having read comments here all I can say is you know absolutely know nothing about Derren Brown. He does not and never as used actors or stooges. I highly recommend you see one of his live stage shows. Unfortunately his television work has to be edited for broadcast due to timing/scheduling. Follow him on Twitter and learn more about the man and his ethics and more importantly his work. Some very ill informed people making comments on here. Steven was not an actor. Karl Greenwood was an actor and had nothing to do with the Apocalypse programme other than looking very like Steven. Derren has done loads before Apocalypse. Hero at 30,000ft, The Guilt Trip, The Heist to name but few, his work is amazing and incredible but does require a certain amount of intelligence to follow, sadly lacking on here.

57. Written by Liz
    on 23/09/2013 at 7:36 pm

Please remember television programmes need to be edited down. Everything film will not end up in the broadcast. Editing plays its part in making something appear fake. Derren’s team spent a lot of time preparing for this show before it was filmed. All Derren’s participants are psychologically assessed to check they are robust enough to go through what he has planned for them. Steven audition for a show and was told he was rejected and it was almost 2 years later when this was done to him. Please check your facts before dismissing something as fake. It was not. Steven to this day thanks Derren for how he changed his life.

58. Written by Liz
    on 23/09/2013 at 7:37 pm

*filmed* 8auditioned* apologies for errors

59. Written by Elite Nabukadnezar
    on 21/12/2014 at 7:41 pm

There is a certain compliance from the “victim” when he is “put to sleep”. Being suggestible means that he’s more likely to continue with the charade. He wants something interesting to happen in his life, therefore he pretends to go to sleep and plays out like an actor everything that follows. This is common for many shows that use suggestibility. In their minds, both the magician and the victim know that they have to play a role.

60. Written by Grumpy Git
    on 04/06/2015 at 12:55 pm

I am waiting for the TV repeats to wake this discussion up 🙂

61. Written by Fayaz Issak
    on 20/03/2016 at 9:35 pm

The bottles are under his feet! they haven’t disappeared, you can see them clearly!

62. Written by Kerry Mckie
    on 11/09/2018 at 11:47 pm

Steven is hot! Also, I love how he looked after “Leona”. If this was real, (which I think it was) I wish I could meet a guy like that. True hero.